July 27 & 28, 2021
10:00am – 2:30pm EST
Carl and Matt are pleased to announce their first annual summer writing institute, which they will be doing virtually this summer!
This institute is designed for the K-8 teacher who wants to learn about ways to get better at teaching writing, as well as for the literacy coaches, administrators, and curriculum specialists who support them. Participants will learn practical strategies they can use as soon as they return to their onsite and virtual schools to improve these important aspects of writing instruction, and others:
- Work on skills for “projecting,” or planning units of study.
- Learn strategies for lifting the level of the initial “immersion” stage of a unit of study.
- Practice assessing student writing to recognize strengths and possible teaching points.
- Get experience “reading like a writing teacher” by analyzing mentor texts for many great craft lessons.
- Learn how to construct teaching points for mini-lessons, conferences and small groups.
- Learn how to improve important aspects of conferring, such as supporting student talk and giving useful feedback.
- Q & A Time with Matt & Carl
The two days will include keynotes, workshops, breakout sessions, and question/answer time. You can expect to see recent video of work that Carl and Matt have done with children, and to read and study student writing and mentor texts.
Here is the draft schedule for each day (all times are Eastern Daylight Time):
- 10:00am – 10:45am Keynotes by Carl or Matt
- 10:45am – 11: 00am Break
- 11:00am – 12:30pm Workshop co-led by Carl & Matt
- 12:30pm – 1:00pm Lunch
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm Breakout sessions with Carl or Matt
- 2:00pm -2:30pm Q&A time with Carl & Matt
The webinar will take place using Zoom. You’ll receive the links several days before the start of the institute. We will record all the sessions, including all the breakout sessions, and make the links available for you to watch for 30 days after the institute.
Cost: $100 for 9.5 hours of Professional Development (including all breakout sessions)
- Complete the information below and pay with a credit card on the Stripe Portal
- If your district wants to pay for 5 or more registrations at once, we can set up a separate Stripe page. Please contact Matt on this site to let him know how many people you want to register.
- We can accept Purchase Orders for groups of 5 or more. To pay with a purchase order please contact Matt on this site.