Wednesday, Oct. 20 7:00-8:30 PM ET
Presented by Carl Anderson and Matt Glover
We want students of all ages to elaborate well in their writing. In this workshop, you’ll learn about how illustrations and text features are important compositional tools that help students of all ages elaborate. lllustrations and text features can help students write with more detail in their writing. And they can also work alongside text to convey details – and meaning – to readers.
Join Carl Anderson and Matt Glover to learn about how you can help your students elaborate with illustrations and text features. During this webinar, Carl and Matt will:
- Make the case for illustration study (in primary grades) and weaving lessons on text features into upper grade units
- Support students in thinking in greater detail helps students compose more elaborate illustrations, oral language, and text.
- Survey the (surprising number) of primary and upper-grade genres which include illustrations and text features
- Discuss different purposes for using illustrations, and text features in texts
- Discuss how illustrations and text features can help students elaborate in writing
- Explore what it means to “read like an illustrator”
- Broaden your repertoire of crafting techniques you can teach students to use in their illustrations/text features
- Show how to teach into, rather than out of, children’s illustrations
- Make connections between crafting techniques used in writing and in illustrations and text features
- Talk about how to handle students who say, “I can’t draw.”
The webinar will take place using Zoom. When you register we will email you the Zoom link a few days before the webinar.
To register and pay with a credit card, please submit the information below. When you click submit, you will be taken to the Stripe portal for payment, so please only press submit if you would like to make your payment now. If you have any questions, please contact us using the contact link on this site.